Health Office Update: November 3
November 03, 2022
- We have several cases of confirmed influenza (flu). We had 11-27 students with fever out each day this week. There are at least 3 other viruses making students sick.
- Flu shots help; please consider having students get their flu shots. Call Upper Valley Pediatrics, 802-785-4722, if you don’t know where to go.
- Students should try to get a lot of rest to prevent getting sick.
- Thetford Academy has 1 person out with Covid this week.
- The Ronald McDonald Dental Van will be at Thetford Academy from November 2-7. Fill out a new patient form if you want your student’s teeth cleaned.
Student Emotional Support
- Students in need of support should reach out to parents, a counselor, the school nurse, a teacher, or friends.
- The teen text crisis line is available 24 hours a day – 741741; no issue is too small, they are there to help.
Student Illness or Injury at School
- Students who are ill or injured during the school day must first go to the health office or main office.
- The nurse or office staff will help the student and call parents as needed.
- Parents should not pick up students who have not gone through these steps.
- All 7th grade students need a tetanus booster (TDaP) to be in school.
- Parents should make sure students are up to date on all school immunizations or complete an exemption form. A new exemption form is required each year.
Warning about Vaping
- A new and very deadly narcotic, fentanyl, is being added to some vape pens and other vape devices. Read more info about this issue.
- The best way to stay safe is to stop vaping. Resources for quitting are available in the Health Office or from the Student Assistance Provider, or online at 802-Quits.
Families in Need of Winter Help
- Orange County Parent Child Center is a conduit for VT state assistance for help with: heating costs, car repairs, winter clothing, gas cards, gift cards to grocery stores and electric bills. Please contact their director, Lindsey Trombley, 802-685-2264 or [email protected] or Nurse Ellen for assistance.