Health Office Update: Feb 16
February 16, 2023
- We are seeing a lot of head colds, viral sore throats/cough/congestion.
- Please keep students home when they have NEW onset of symptoms.
- I am allowing students to be in school who have congestion that is getting better, and post viral cough.
- For the congestion: decongestants are helping. You can try Sudafed (generic), Dayquil, Vicks Cold & Flu or something similar. For the cough (if there is NO fever) try: Delsym or similar, cough drops, or honey. For congestion & cough- stay well hydrated, a humidifier in the bedroom at night and get lots of extra sleep.
- All students with fever must stay home.
- There is also a stomach bug circulating which causes vomiting & diarrhea.
- We have had 30-40 students out daily since 2/10/23.
- There is less Covid this week, we continue to see a few cases of influenza (main symptoms: fever, headache & nausea), and recently had cases of mononucleosis and strep throat.
- Parents, when you call your student out, please let us know what their symptoms are.
- How to get better when sick: stay home, get lots of rest, extra sleep, lots of fluids and gargle with warm salt water if you have a sore throat.
- Please don’t share water bottles or food; that’s how mono spreads.
- Thetford Academy has 2 people out with Covid this week.
- Take home Covid kits are available in the Health Office.
- TA Covid protocol
THC Vape Pens
- If these are brought onto campus, they cause students serious health risks as well as serious disciplinary consequence, suspension.
- Parents, please take time to talk to your teens about the real concerns and the health risks of THC and other substances such as opioids. Students took the Youth Risk Behavior Survey on Feb. 13 and now is a good time to talk to your teens about these issues.
- Students if you have used a drug/THC/any other concerning substance please seek help from: parents, teachers, friends, the school nurse, the counselors, the maintenance crew, the cooks or your doctor. We want to help you right away.
- Additionally, TA has Narcan available on campus from multiple trained staff.
- Anyone distributing drugs at school puts TA students at risk of very serious harm.
Open Door has dance classes which promote wellness and self-confidence. Open Door Dance Classes
Thetford Town Service Officer
- An additional resource for winter, the town service officer can help with gas cards, fuel oil, etc. The town service officer can connect families with other supports.
- Jessica Eaton is the Thetford Town Service Officer and can be contacted for assistance with a wide variety of needs.
- Email: [email protected]. Phone: 802.333.9491
Thetford Food Shelf
The food shelf is open Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 10 to noon. The food shelf serves residents of Thetford, Fairlee, West Fairlee, Vershire and Strafford.
Safe Winter Driving
Please remember to be safe and take extra time when the weather is bad. If students are in need of snow tires, please contact one of the above resources or Nurse Ellen.
Earthquakes in Syria and Turkey