Health Office Update: Oct. 26, 2023
October 26, 2023
There are 3 other viruses besides Covid going around at school:
- There is a head cold with sore throat/congestion/cough
- Another virus with symptoms of headache and sometimes dizziness, fever or nausea
- We are seeing less of the stomach bug 🙂
- If your student is sick please have them stay home.
- We have 5 individuals out with Covid this week.
- If you need a Covid test kit please come to the office.
- Protocol for return after Covid is here: Thetford Academy Health Office/COVID page
Free Covid Test Kits
Now available through the US Postal service link to Covid test kit order form. For Covid boosters, call the Kinney Drugstore in Bradford.
Orford Masons’ Rummage Sale
Excellent bedding, clothing, kitchen-ware and puzzles/games – inexpensively priced.
• This week Thursday & Friday 10-4, Saturday 10 – 2:00 PM.
• And, Friday, Nov. 3rd 10 – 4:00 PM and Sat. Nov. 4th 10 -2:00 PM.
Masonic Hall 649 NH Rte 10 in Orford, NH
Most young people say that social media helps them feel more connected to friends and provides important support during challenging times. Yet young people today also report being more stressed and anxious than ever. So what is the relationship between screen time and mental health and well-being? In this interactive and energizing presentation, Erin Walsh of Spark Institute will cut through conflicting information and share the latest evidence about screen time’s impact on youth. Instead of framing tech as all “good” or all “bad,” Erin will use brain science, warmth, and humor to identify key strategies that promote resilience and digital well-being. Register for Erin Walsh’s live webinar “It’s Complicated: Teens, Social Media, and Mental Health.
Suicide Prevention Training
Offered via Zoom on November 8, 2023
Thetford Town Service Officer
A resource for winter, the town service officer can help with gas cards, fuel oil, etc. The town service officer can connect families with other supports. Jessica Eaton is the Thetford Town Service Officer and can be contacted for assistance with a wide variety of needs. Email: [email protected]. Phone: 802.333.9491
Body posture with cell phone & computer use increases anxiety by stimulating our adrenal glands.
- Sitting up straight, moving around at least twice hourly decreases stress & anxiety according to this NPR article
Please check daily for deer ticks – especially outdoor classes
- There are will be lots of deer tick nymph through hunting season.
- Shower & wash clothes if you are out in tick territory.
- If a deer tick is attached to you for more than 24-36 hours call your pediatrician & get a one-time antibiotic to prevent Lyme Disease.
- Also, save the tick – show your doctor or Nurse Ellen Ellen’s Lyme Disease prevention video
Thetford Food Shelf
- The food shelf is open Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 10 to noon. The food shelf serves residents of Thetford, Fairlee, West Fairlee, Vershire and Strafford.
Corinth, West Topsham & Bradford Food Shelves
- West Topsham’s food shelf is at the Riverside Grange & open Monday 3-4 PM and Fridays 5:30 -630 PM
- Bradford Academy’s food shelf, in Bradford, is open Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 3-4 p.m.; Wednesday, 5-6 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-noon
Ronald McDonald Dental Van Dec 4-7
Dental cleanings and treating cavities is provided. If your child is a NEW patient please complete the attached form and return it to Nurse Ellen.
Israel and the Occupied Territories
The International Red Cross is helping in the Mideast