Head of School Weekly Email: Accolades, Mountain Day & Fall Clubs
September 17, 2021
Dear TA Families,
We have lots to celebrate as we wrap up week four of the school year. Here are a few highlights.
1. First up: Accolades in both the academic and athletic realms!
- Congratulations to TA teacher Derek Burkins who will receive the Vermont STEM Teacher of the Year award on September 22. Read the full story here.
- The TA girls and boys cross-country teams are having a strong start to the season. Special accolades go to student-athletes Tobin Durham and Madelyn Durkee for their first and second finishes in Tuesday’s multi-school meet. Tune in as Coach Joe Deffner shares early season highlights: video.
2. Next up: Mountain Day prevails!
- Mountain Day takes place on Friday, Sept. 24 (with a rain date of Sept. 27).
- Due to school bus shortages, we are having to rework this beloved TA tradition; however, we are committed to getting everyone outdoors and hiking with classmates and teachers for the day. We refuse to have TA’s Mountain Day be canceled for two years in a row.
- 7th and 8th graders will travel by bus to Mt. Cube. 9th graders will hike Mimi’s Trail in Thetford. 10th graders will travel w/parent drivers to Mt. Cardigan. 11th graders will hike to Union Village Dam. 12th graders will travel by bus to Mt. Moosilauke.
- Look for upcoming grade-specific communications for more details and a permission slip for your student.
3. Last but not least: TA clubs have launched!
- Every Friday during Power Hour we have time devoted to clubs and activities. On Sept. 3 we had a fair to help clubs promote and recruit, and then on Sept. 10 fall clubs and activities started meeting officially. In addition to the Friday Power Hour options, clubs that need more extensive time are meeting after school.
- The complete list of TA clubs and activities was shared with students on Sept. 10.
- Thanks to the student leaders and faculty/staff sponsors who are leading the way. And kudos to all of the student participants; of course without members, there’d be no clubs.
Wishing everyone an enjoyable autumn weekend,
Carrie Brennan, Head of School
Feature photo: Drumming up interest at the club fair on Sept. 3.