TA Board Adds New Cohort of Trustees
September 16, 2021
The Thetford Academy Board of Trustees added a cohort of five new members this year. The new trustees were approved at the May 2021 meeting and jumped right into action, joining the board for their annual retreat in June on the TA campus. The new cohort represents a cross-section of professional fields and includes three TA alumni – all from the Class of 2001!
- Sarah (Clarke) Adams, TA Class of 2001, is a professional graphics and production designer. She lives in Strafford, serves as the TA board’s Strafford Representative, and has an elementary age child who attends the Newton School. One of Sarah’s highlights of her time at TA was participating in the spring musical every year.
- Paul Mutone is the Chief Financial & Chief Administrative Officer at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College. He has spent three decades working in the areas of finance and administration in institutions of higher education. Paul and his wife live in Hanover, NH and have three adult children.
- Sam Perry has a background as a scientist and operations director. Currently he is the director of laboratory and facilities operations at Ensoma, a Boston-based early-stage gene therapy company. Sam grew up in Post Mills and graduated from Thetford Academy in 2001. Fond memories of his time at TA include competing in three seasons of sports – cross country, alpine skiing, and track and field – as well as being a part of the awesome drama program. Sam lives in Arlington, MA with his wife and daughter.
- Cara (Sturman) Ray is the founder of Climb to College and works as an independent college counselor supporting high school students from across the country, and their families, as they navigate the college admission process. Cara and her family live in Waterbury, VT. Like Sarah and Sam, Cara is a TA alum from the class of 2001 and is excited to be reconnected with the Thetford community. While at TA, Cara enjoyed playing soccer, participating in the school musicals, and serving as her class representative to the Student Council
- Sheilagh Smith has been practicing family law in her private practice since 2000. She graduated from Vermont Law School, where she was President of the Black Law Students Association. She is a Chelsea resident and parent of a TA graduate of the class of 2021. Sheilagh served on TA’s 2020-2021 Anti-Racism Task Force.
Other recent board transitions included the stepping down of trustees Ann Bumpus and Melody Burkins. Ann Bumpus served two terms, including two years as board president. Melody Burkins served one term and played a key role in developing the board’s current strategic plan. Both completed their terms in June 2021, at the same time that they each had a child graduate with TA’s Class of 2021.
The complete list of the TA Board of Trustees for 2021-2022 is:
- Sarah Adams, South Strafford, VT
- Gio Bosco, Thetford Center, VT
- Shannon Darrah, Thetford Center, VT
- Marisa Donovan, Thetford Center, VT
- Karl Furstenberg, Lyme, NH
- Dana Grossman, East Thetford, VT
- Robin Junker-Boyce, Thetford Hill, VT
- Harry Kinne, Post Mills, VT
- Lindsey Klecan, Hanover, NH
- Paul Mutone, Hanover, NH
- Sam Perry, Arlington MA
- Mary Dan Pomeroy, Thetford Hill
- Cara Ray, Waterbury, VT
- Katie Saunders, Thetford Center, VT
- Sheilagh Smith, Chelsea, VT
- Donna Steinberg, North Thetford, VT
- John Ziegler, New London, NH
Visit the TA website, thetfordacademy.org/about-ta/board-of-trustees, where you can learn more about the role of the TA Board, access the archive of meeting minutes, and view the Five-Year Strategic Plan.