Head of School Weekly Email: October News
September 30, 2022
Dear TA Families,
I spent time this week getting into classrooms and enjoyed seeing students engaged in the many ways learning can look like: creating, researching, practicing, discussing, sharing, listening, performing, writing and collaborating. I invite you to check in with your student this weekend about their experiences. What is a recent learning highlight they want to share? What skills, ideas, projects, and new concepts are sparking their interest? How is Quarter 1 shaping up for them? What do they want to accomplish in the next three weeks of the quarter?
October will be a really busy month at TA! Here are a few highlights of upcoming special events:
- 9/30 – Middle School Dance, hosted by the 8th grade, tonight in the outdoor classroom, 7-9pm
- 10/1 – TA hosts the Woods Trail Cross-Country Race
- 10/5 – Paying for College Workshop, hosted by VSAC, 6:30-7:30pm in the MJR Theater
- 10/7 – Fall Inservice Day, no school for students
- 10/10 – Indigenous Peoples Day, school closed for holiday
- 10/12 – PSATs for the Class of 2024
- 10/13 – Flu Vaccine Clinic, open to students and staff, 11am-12:45pm
- 10/16 – TA Admissions Open House, for families interested in enrolling for the 2023-24 school year; register here
- 10/21 – Last day of Quarter 1
- 10/29 – TA hosts the VT State Cross-Country Meet
We encourage bookmarking the calendar page on our website to keep up on the latest: thetfordacademy.org/calendars. Older students, take note: All of the college rep visits are posted on the calendar too, including Oberlin, Savannah College of Art and Design, Colby, UNH, and many others happening in October!
School Nurse Ellen Gnaedinger continues to keep our community informed with a weekly health office update. You can find the latest health information (and the weekly updates) on the TA website: thetfordacademy.org/student-life/health-office.
Have a great weekend,
Carrie Brennan, Head of School
Featured photos: A variety of images of life on campus from the past week (or so) … Congrats to the middle school soccer team for their win this week. Kudos to so many students who used office hours productively on Wednesday. Thanks to Ms. Pond’s modern world history class for sharing their Buddhist-inspired art. And cheers to the Class of 2026 for this awesome group shot on Mt. Cardigan last Friday!