Health Office Update: Feb. 9
February 09, 2023
- We are seeing more Covid this week and continue to see influenza, mononucleosis and strep throat.
- We also have students with head colds and sore throats.If you are sick, please remember to stay home until better.
- How to get better: stay home, get lots of rest, extra sleep, lots of fluids and gargle with warm salt water if you have a sore throat.
- Please don’t share water bottles or food; that’s how mono spreads.
- Thetford Academy has 13 people out with Covid this week.
- Take home Covid kits are available in the Health Office. TA Covid protocol
Vermont Hoax School Shootings
We are very concerned that these hoaxes occurred. As Siobhan said in her email we are ready to support students, parents and staff. If you are still feeling stress, please reach out to the Counseling Office or any of us.
THC Vape Pens
- If these are brought onto campus, they cause students serious health risks as well as serious disciplinary consequences.
- Parents, please take time to talk to your teens about the real concerns and the health risks of THC and other substances such as opioids. Students take the Youth Risk Behavior Survey next week and it’s a good time to talk to your teens about these issues.
- Students if you have used a drug/THC/any other concerning substance please seek help from: parents, teachers, friends, the school nurse, the counselors, the maintenance crew, the cooks or your doctor. We want to help you right away. TA has Narcan available on campus from multiple trained staff. Anyone distributing drugs at school puts TA students at risk of very serious harm.
- Upper Valley Aquatic Center is hosting a Red Cross Babysitting course on: February the 11th and 12th from 8AM – 12:30PM.
- Contact Ashley Ellis by phone 802-296-2850 ext. 109 or email [email protected]
- Scholarship money available towards the cost of the class.
Women’s Self Defense Class
February 12, 19, 26 and March 5
Sundays, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Instructor: Kevin Comeau
At Open Door in White River Junction
Scholarship money is available towards the cost of the class.
Open Door also has dance classes which promote wellness and self-confidence. Open Door Dance Classes
Thetford Town Service Officer
- An additional resource for winter, the town service officer can help with gas cards, fuel oil, etc. The town service officer can connect families with other supports.
- Jessica Eaton is the Thetford Town Service Officer and can be contacted for assistance with a wide variety of needs.
- Email: [email protected]. Phone: 802.333.9491
Thetford Food Shelf
The food shelf is open Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 10 to noon. The food shelf serves residents of Thetford, Fairlee, West Fairlee, Vershire and Strafford.
Safe Winter Driving
Please remember to be safe and take extra time when the weather is bad. If students are in need of snow tires, please contact one of the above resources or Nurse Ellen.
Ellen Gnaedinger, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC
Thetford Academy School Nurse