Head of School Update for Sending Towns
May 20, 2020
The following message was sent to community listservs in Thetford, Strafford, Lyme, Sharon, Tunbridge, and Topsham/Corinth …
As we move into the final stretch of this most unusual school year, I wanted to share a few Thetford Academy updates with the community throughout our sending towns.
- Those of you living near Thetford Hill have probably noticed the Academy bell ringing nightly at 7pm. We are proud to be part of the tradition that has emerged around the world this spring to honor healthcare workers with nightly cheers, bells, and music. What a bright spot during this global pandemic. Thank you to TA volunteers Wendy Cole, Ray Chapin, Joe Deffner, Derek Burkins, Karen Heinzmann, Stacy Barton, Michael Mann, and teacher emeritus Becky DiFrancesco for doing the ringing!
- On Thursday, May 21, there will be a major food distribution event sponsored by the VT Food Bank and VT National Guard from 10am-2pm in the TA parking lot. Please share the news with families who could benefit from the free meals, and be advised if coming to Thetford on Thursday that organizers estimate as many as 2000 families will participate. We know there will be traffic inconveniences, but it is for a very important cause.
- Thank you to many in our community who have responded positively to the Class of 2020 portraits on the Thetford Hill Green. This is one of the many ways we are spotlighting our seniors this year, as we all strive to find alternative ways to celebrate important milestones like high school graduation. Check out the features on each senior on TA’s Facebook and Instagram pages as well, and the heartfelt letters faculty have been writing to the Class of 2020.
- Save the date: A car parade is in the works for the evening of Friday, June 12 as part of the alternative graduation plans for this special class, and we hope many of you can turn out curbside/roadside to cheer on our seniors and their families. More details to come.
- So many of you have been enjoying the TA campus as part of your daily routines to stay well and stay sane during this stressful time of isolation. We welcome the community to use the trails and fields, and appreciate everyone’s adherence to VT guidance on outdoor recreation during COVID.
- Lastly, we are looking ahead to the end of the school year on June 12 and will continue to conduct school remotely through the end of the year, like all VT schools. You can learn more about the TA experience of remote teaching and learning by visiting our website: www.thetfordacademy.org/remote-ta
I am grateful for the community support of the Academy.
Carrie Brennan, Head of School