Head of School Weekly Email: One Act Play, Spelling Bee Champ, Inservice Re-Cap & Other TA News
March 17, 2023
Dear TA Families,
A few highlights to share with you as we come to the middle of March …
The teacher inservice today included a variety of topics, from doing a deep dive into the TA professional standards to practicing for upcoming student roundtables and participating in restorative justice circles. During afternoon breakouts, some of us headed to the greenhouse to explore ways to include gardening in our curriculum and others went to the library to pitch our favorite teaching and learning apps in a ‘tech smackdown’ competition. We know families have to flex their schedule when students don’t have school, and we are grateful for this time in the school calendar. Spending the occasional day apart from our student learners gives us the opportunity to step into the role of learner, which is vital to our professional growth, so thank you!
Shout-Outs & Opportunities
- Congratulations to 7th grader Maddie Piecuch for winning the middle school spelling bee last month. Maddie heads to the statewide competition on March 21!
- Thanks to TA alum parent Tracy Bach and others in the community who connected us with the student a cappella group Whim ‘n Rhythm from Yale University. We were lucky to have them perform at assembly this week, as part of their Upper Valley whirlwind tour. What an inspiration!
- The Governor’s Institute of Vermont is sponsoring 8 different week-long sessions throughout the summer for students in grades 9-11 on a variety of topics from youth action to entrepreneurship to engineering to the arts. A not-to-be-missed opportunity! Deadline to apply is March 31. Check out the GIV website.
- Spring sports season is right around the corner. Look for (past) emails from Bri Barnes and be sure to register.
- Good luck to the One Act Play cast and crew with their performances of ‘A Trip to the Moon’ tonight and tomorrow night at 7pm in the Martha Jane Rich Theater. The community is invited! Tickets are $5.
Carrie Brennan, Head of School
Featured photos this week: A few images of assembly with our community performers from Yale on Monday and a glimpse of the teacher inservice today. Plus a bonus photo (featured above): Mr. Teschner and all of us at TA wish you a Happy St. Patrick’s Day!