Head of School Weekly News: Spring News
April 14, 2023
Dear TA Families,
Here is a list of events & opportunities coming up this spring – for students, for parents, and for everyone:
- First up: Tonight is the High School Spring Semi-Formal! Hosted by the junior class, the dance will be here at TA in the Vaughan Alumni Gym from 7:30pm-10:00pm. Concessions will be open throughout the evening. Tickets are $10 at the door.
- Season Openers Tomorrow! – Varsity Softball & Baseball. Support our panther teams in their opening games against Windsor, Saturday 4/15 at 11am. The baseball game will be at TA. The softball team, which is a coop team w/Rivendell Academy, will play its first home game at the Rivendell fields in Orford.
- Tuesday, April 18 – Parent Workshop: We are hosting a parent workshop on underage drinking, vaping, and cannabis use. ‘How to Talk So Kids Will Listen’ is an in-person session at TA on April 18 from 6-7:30pm. The session is based on SAMHSA‘s national ‘Talk. They Hear You.” campaign and will be facilitated by TA’s Student Assistance Provider Kara Toms. No registration required. Contact Kara with questions or more information: [email protected].
- Wednesday, April 19 – DEI Film Series: TA’s Student Alliance for Racial Justice will show the documentary ‘Mossville: When Great Trees Fall’ on Wednesday evening from 6:30pm-8pm. The film is about a centuries-old Black community in Louisiana that has been uprooted by contamination from petrochemical plants and features the story of one man who fights to protect his ancestral home.
- Summer TOP Programs – Registration Deadline, May 25: Vermont Adventure, GLOW, and Garden Camp still have spots available. No prior camping, hiking, or gardening experience necessary – the programs are designed for all levels. Learn more on the TA website, talk to Scott and Ehrin, and consider signing up with a friend!
Quick state testing re-cap:
I want to thank our 7th, 8th, and 9th grade students for their patience and participation with the English/Language Arts testing on Wednesday and Thursday this week. The state is implementing a new test this year and there have been some challenges along the way. Next week the same grade levels will take the math portion on Wednesday and Thursday during B block. (For parents interested in some of the ‘back story’ and/or wondering about the state’s approach, this memo from AOE about the opening of the testing period this week might be of interest.)
This super warm weather launched us into full spring mode, with classes taking their learning to the outdoors. Featured photos this week: Students in horticulture planted willow trees by the school garden. Students in physics conducted stress tests on their bridges. Meanwhile, we also brought a bit of the outdoors inside: TA’s sugaring season (seems like just yesterday) produced lots of yummy syrup, which students enjoyed in the cafe this week.
Carrie Brennan, Head of School