Head of School Weekly Email: December Updates
December 03, 2021
Dear TA Families,
From my office window I have a beautiful view looking northeast with the TA flagpole in the foreground and the peaks of Mt. Moosilauke off in the distance. This afternoon the flag is blowing in the brisk wind and Moosilauke’s two peaks are fully covered in snow: both reminders of the chilly temps outside and the start of winter. Here at school we have a dusting of snow around campus, just enough to play with during Community Day activities earlier this week.
With December’s arrival, we enter the final stretch of the semester, a timeframe that is especially important for our high school students, who are on a semester-block schedule with courses wrapping up the week of January 10.
Please help your TA student(s) at home plan backwards from the end of the semester. Review the following dates and events and let us know if you have any questions.
- 12/3 – Winter Dance – this event is canceled and the 9th grade team is working to create an alternative event later in the year
- 12/9 – PreACT test date for the 10th grade
- 12/11 – The TA Show has been postponed until the new year – new date forthcoming
- 12/15 – Fully remote academic work day for students (classes will not convene; teachers will be available for office hours support)
- 12/15 – Winter Concert; reservations required – LINK to reserve tickets (this is a new date for the event, which was originally scheduled on 12/16)
- 12/18 – First day of winter break
- 1/3 – Return to school and final week of instruction for fall semester classes
- 1/10 – Start of final exams and projects week
- 1/13 – Last day of the semester
In other seasonal news …
- The theme of our December 1 Community Day was ‘TA gives back’ and in that spirit, the following initiatives arose out of advisory and grade level activities on Wednesday: The 11th grade is holding a nonperishable food and household goods drive this month. Decorated boxes are around campus to receive donations. Sara Rose’s 7th grade advisory is hosting a clothing drive to collect winter clothing for all ages. Bags can be dropped off in the front office – please label ‘clothing drive’.
- The latest health office update was sent via email yesterday and also posted on our website, including a reminder to get a flu shot. This and all prior health office updates, along with general Covid guidance and related links, can be found on the Health Office page: thetfordacademy.org/student-life/health-office.
- The winter athletics season is officially underway. Spectators will be allowed at basketball games; however, this opportunity is currently limited to immediate family members of players. Read more about winter athletic guidance, including spectator rules, in this updated document: Winter Athletics at TA.
Wishing everyone a warm and cozy weekend,
Carrie Brennan, Head of School
Featured photo this week: An 8th grade team in the middle school scavenger hunt poses for the camera, during Wednesday’s Community Day.