Head of School Weekly Email: February News
February 09, 2024
Dear TA Families,
3rd Quarter Momentum
This week we bounced back from all of the Founders’ Day fun and jumped back into the flow of 3rd quarter. The sunny days kept our energy up and weather disruptions to the school schedule at bay. This is an important stretch in the academic calendar, especially for high school courses, as we hit the halfway point of the quarter and expect students to be fully immersed in the routines and demonstrating higher levels of knowledge and skills in their new classes. This weekend would be a good time to log into Web2School together with your student to review and discuss 3rd quarter grades, progress, and assignments.
Planning Ahead for College & Career
On Monday from 6-7:30pm, the TA Counseling Department will host the second in a series of College Nights for students and families, geared especially toward the Class of 2025. This session features a panel of admissions officers from six regional colleges sharing their expertise and perspective about the whole college process. Check out the panel list and agenda here. The event is virtual; more details and the meeting link are also available on the school calendar. (Junior families who missed the first College Night on Jan. 22, which provided an introductory overview, can find a recording of the session on the Counseling Department page of our website, in the ‘resources’ section.)
- Congratulations to all of the participants in this year’s Poetry Out Loud contest, which took place on Monday afternoon – and a special spotlight on our repeat winner, Mary Bosco ’24! (Read more.)
- Check out this recent feature in the Valley News on TA’s environmental studies and outdoor education class and their snowshoe-making project! (featured photo)
- Best of luck to our debaters who head to Champlain Valley Union HS tomorrow for a meet.
- Come out to root on the Panther boys’ basketball teams tonight – JV and Varsity have home games in the Vaughan Alumni Gymnasium (start times 5:30 and 7pm).
Upcoming Events & Dates:
- Feb. 16 – Valentine’s Dance – hosted by the 10th grade, all grades 7-12 invited
- Feb. 17 – Robotics State Championships
- Feb. 23 – Black History Month Panel
- Feb. 26-March 1 – Winter Break, TA closed
- March 2 – Thetford Town Meeting @ TA
Have a great weekend,
Carrie Brennan, Head of School